Strengthened by recent data center openings in
Setting new standards in security and efficiency, LD6 is the
Energy efficiency has been achieved at the site with the aid of an innovative air system, which utilizes mass air cooling technology with indirect heat exchange and 100 percent natural ventilation. This will contribute to LD6 having lower energy consumption and a smaller carbon footprint than other facilities of its kind.
Highlights / Key Facts
Londonholds a significant place in driving the digital economy with the fifth largest GDP by metropolitan area in the world. Equinix'sLondon Slough data center campus has been established as one of the premiere connectivity points for businesses to interconnect with one another in a secure colocation environment. The opening of LD6 in Londonis driven by steady demand for services at one of the UK'sfastest-growing data center campuses – the Equinix London Slough campus. The facility has broad appeal because it houses LINX, one of the world's largest Internet Exchanges and serves as a virtual financial center housing over 170 financial services companies, with a quarter of European equities trades originating inside Equinix.
- The opening of LD6 continues the steady expansion of
Equinix'sglobal interconnection platform – Platform Equinix™. Equinixhas invested more than $7.5 billionover the last 16 years and LD6 represents a critical access point for European businesses into Equinix'sglobal footprint of more than 100 data centers across 33 markets.
- The initial phase of LD6 is 236,000 square feet (8,000 square meters) and adds capacity for 1,385 cabinets with the ability to add another 1,385 cabinets in phase two. Once phase two is complete, the Equinix London Slough campus will provide more than 388,000 square feet (36,000 square meters) of net premium colocation space interconnected by more than 1,000 diverse dark fiber links, increasing scale and resilience. This campus environment allows for quick access to other ecosystem participants across facilities. Additionally, with six data center sites strategically located throughout central
London, Equinixprovides businesses increased options for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- With over 90 network service providers and access to a range of transatlantic cables, the London Slough campus is one of the busiest network nodes in the
UK, and offers latency in the region of 30 milliseconds to New Yorkand 4 milliseconds to Frankfurt, making it an ideal high-performance hub for cloud and content service provision.
- Enterprises will have access to major cloud providers located in the
Londoncampus via Equinix Cloud Exchange™ including Microsoft Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Platform, Available to customers in the Londonmetro area, Cloud Exchange provides enterprises with secure, direct, flexible connections to a wide range of cloud service providers in 20 markets worldwide.
- Colocation inside Equinix IBX's and access to a vast portfolio of cloud and network service providers, allows customers to rapidly deploy IT infrastructure with global scale, on a secure and flexible basis. Businesses are benefitting from the ability to develop new applications, products and services with increased time to market with Platform Equinix.
- LD6 is one of the few
Equinixdata centers to be built from scratch. This freedom in design and development has enabled Equinixto optimize efficiency from both an environmental and an operational perspective.
Matt Stagg, senior manager, Network Strategy, EE:
"In 2017, 4G will be predominately a video distribution network – globally, a billion gigabytes will go across mobile networks each month. Strategically, we need to have a data center provider, to connect to the top video providers, that understands this growth, and has a roadmap to support it –
Julian David, CEO techUK:
"The addition of LD6 to the Equinix London campus is another sign of the growth and opportunity presented by the
Russell Poole, managing director, Equinix UK:
"LD6 is one of the most technically advanced data centers in the
- Equinix Accelerates Interconnected Era with Global Launch of Five New Data Centers [Press release]
- History of Interconnection – part 4 [blog]
- Platform Equinix Drives Business Innovation [video]
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering
 "Global city GDP rankings 2008–2025".
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-launches-technically-advanced-data-center-in-uk-its-sixth-in-london-300066963.html
Equinix Media Contacts - APCO Worldwide (EMEA), +44207 526 3600, Equinix@apcoworldwide.com, OR Liam Rose (Americas/Corporate), +1 (650) 598-6590, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Equinix Investor Relations Contact - Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com