U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Honors Equinix with Award for Green Power Leadership
Equinix exceeds expected progress towards 100 percent renewable energy commitment
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Oct. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a leader in green power. Equinix was selected for recognition in the Excellence in Green Power category of the 2017 Green Power Leadership Awards. The annual awards recognize America's leading green power users for their commitment and contribution to helping advance the development of the nation's voluntary green power market. EPA presented Equinix with this award at the Green Power Leadership Awards Ceremony as part of the 2017 Renewable Energy Markets Conference in New York on October 23, 2017.
In addition to considering how much renewable energy a company procured in a given year, the Green Power Leadership Awards recognize companies that are using innovative strategies to achieve their renewable energy goals. The Excellence in Green Power category specifically recognizes applicants that demonstrate a distinct market impact through innovation, communication and stakeholder engagement. Prior to receiving this award, Equinix has been an EPA Green Power Partner since 2015. EPA updates its Top Partner Rankings quarterly at www.epa.gov/greenpower/green-power-partnership-top-partner-rankings.
- This is the third year the EPA has recognized Equinix's commitment to green and sustainable practices.
- As of July 24, 2017, Equinix ranks as No. 18 on EPA's National Top 100 list, and No. 7 on the Top 30 Tech & Telecom list, behind industry leaders such as Intel, Microsoft, Google and Apple.
- In 2015, Equinix became the first colocation company to announce its intent to use 100 percent clean and renewable energy across its global footprint.
- In 2016, the company achieved 56 percent renewable energy coverage globally, reaching its intermediate goal of achieving 50 percent renewable by 2017 one year early.
- Equinix has two large-scale wind Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) under contract for 225 MW of capacity in the U.S.
- In August 2017, Equinix announced the largest deployment of fuel cells for the colocation data center industry, with the installation of Bloom Energy fuel cells at 12 Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in the U.S. The project will provide power that is 20-45 percent cleaner than the equivalent utility-provided natural gas-powered generation.
- According to the EPA, Equinix's 2016 U.S. green power use of more than 571 million kWh is equivalent to the electricity use of more than 52,000 average American homes annually. This number is expected to grow significantly when 2017 reporting is announced.
- Equinix is committed to a long-term goal of 100 percent clean and renewable energy for its entire global footprint of more than 185 data centers located in 48 metro markets. For more information about Equinix sustainability practices, please visit: http://www.equinix.com/company/sustainability.
- Raouf Abdel, Chief Global Operations Officer, Equinix
"We are proud to receive this prestigious recognition from the EPA. As operator of the world's most interconnected data centers, we are committed to powering the digital economy in an environmentally sustainable way that enables our customers to green their supply chains as well. This recognition is an important milestone validating the strategy of our long-term goal of using 100 percent renewable energy and sharing the message that supporting green power is a sound business decision that can help reduce air pollution and greenhouse emissions."
- Equinix Corporate Sustainability Report [Equinix report]
- Equinix to Install Largest Deployment of Fuel Cells for the Colocation Data Center Industry [press release]
- Fuel Cells Make Interconnection More Sustainable [blog]
- 451 Research: Equinix makes sustainability progress, installs fuel cells at 12 data centers [analyst report]
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 48 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
About EPA's Green Power Partnership
The Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program that helps increase green power use among U.S. organizations to advance the American market for green power and development of those sources as a way to reduce air pollution and other environmental impacts associated with electricity use. The Partnership currently has more than 1,400 Partners voluntarily using more than 43 billion kilowatt-hours of green power annually. Partners include a wide variety of leading organizations such as Fortune 500® companies; small- and medium-sized businesses; local, state and federal governments; and colleges and universities. For additional information, please visit www.epa.gov/greenpower.
About the Green Power Leadership Awards
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) co-sponsors the annual Green Power Leadership Awards with the Center for Resource Solutions. EPA recognizes winners in the following awards categories: Green Power Partner of the Year; Sustained Excellence in Green Power; Direct Project Engagement; Excellence in Green Power Use; and Green Power Community of the Year. This program recognizes the exceptional achievement among EPA Green Power Partners who distinguish themselves through green power procurement, market leadership, overall green power strategy, and overall impact on the green power market. The ceremony takes place at the Renewable Energy Markets Conference. This year's 19 recipients are using more than 13.4 billion kWh of green power—enough to power more than 1.2 million average American homes for a year. For additional information please visit www.epa.gov/greenpower/green-power-leadership-awards.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-environmental-protection-agency-honors-equinix-with-award-for-green-power-leadership-300541748.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Released October 24, 2017