JPIX Extends Internet Exchange Service to Equinix Osaka Data Center
Providing improved network efficiency to address demand for data center and internet exchange
TOKYO, July 25, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, and Japan Internet Exchange Co., Ltd. (hereafter "JPIX"), a leading Internet Exchange (IX) service provider in Japan, today announced that JPIX has extended its peering fabric to the Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Osaka, OS1. The expanded IX service is to meet the increasing data center and IX demands from international and domestic network operators in Osaka OS1 IBX data center.
With the addition of IX points of JPIX in OS1, Equinix customers can interconnect and peer directly with JPIX's diverse aggregation of Internet service providers, cable TV service providers and content providers, allowing high-quality traffic exchange participants to increase reliability, improve performance and reduce the costs of network traffic exchange.
- The addition of IX points in Osaka will further improve connectivity, allowing local and international network, content and cloud providers, and digital media companies to establish peering sessions and achieve better network efficiency.
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index1, IP traffic in Asia-Pacific including Japan will reach 108 Exabytes (EB) per month by 2021, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 26 percent. Network operators in OS1 can utilize JPIX and Equinix Internet Exchange™ to deal with the large amount of Internet traffic through more efficient traffic exchanges.
- As a leading IX service provider in Japan, JPIX has served traffic exchange over 160 customers, including Internet service providers, cable operators, and contents providers.
- Since 2008, JPIX has set up an IX switch at the Equinix TY2 IBX data center in Tokyo, and extended its services to all the other Equinix facilities in Tokyo (TY1-10) through Equinix Metro Connect™, a dark fibre network, that seamlessly connects all the 10 of Equinix's Tokyo data centers.
- Ryosuke Yamazoe, CEO, Japan Internet Exchange Co., Ltd.:
"Since JPIX was founded in 1997, we have aimed to provide a distributed IX service which can provide risk diversity and load distribution. Looking back on the last 20 years, we have expanded our business by building multiple sites in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka. In 2002, we built our first site in Osaka for the purpose of distributing the heavy traffic load from Tokyo metropolitan area to Kansai area. This has helped our clients to prepare a more effective Disaster Recovery option by securing backup routes in the event of a large-scale disaster, which is essential for a sustainable Business Continuity Plan. Due to the growing demand from the viewpoint of disaster countermeasures, we decided to enhance our site diversity in Kansai area. We are delighted to work with Equinix and set up our new site in Osaka OS1 IBX data center. With the support of Equinix's global interconnection platform, we looking forward to provide our high performance internet exchange service to institutes globally as well as in Japan."
- Kei Furuta, managing director, North Asia, Equinix:
"We are delighted with the addition of JPIX Internet Exchange point in our Osaka data center. This move helps address the growing demand for internet exchange and interconnection services in Kansai area, and allows our customers to leverage the enhance connectivity to expand their business. With our global interconnection platform connecting data centers across 44 markets, Equinix continuously empowers our customers' business in Japan."
- Equinix OS1 Osaka IBX Data Center (website)
- Equinix Japan Data Centers (website)
- Equinix Internet Exchange (website)
Japan Internet Exchange Co., Ltd. (JPIX) was founded in 1997 as Japan's first commercial Internet exchange (IX) service that provides a reliable network traffic exchange platform to different players such as ISPs, NSPs, Content Providers, CDNs, Cloud providers, Media Providers. JPIX is the largest Japanese IX services in terms of client numbers, forming a core part of Japan's Internet backbone with its high quality service. www.jpix.ad.jp/en/index.php
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 44 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. Equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
1Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Methodology, 2016–2021
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jpix-extends-internet-exchange-service-to-equinix-osaka-data-center-300494172.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Released July 25, 2017