AWS Direct Connect Service Now Available at Equinix in Munich
Extends AWS Direct Connect availability to fourteen metros globally with Equinix
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and MUNICH, March 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the immediate availability of Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect cloud service in its Munich International Business Exchange (IBX®) data centers. With AWS Direct Connect, companies can connect their customer-owned and managed infrastructure directly to AWS, establishing a private connection to the cloud that can reduce costs, increase performance, and deliver a more consistent network experience. The Munich data center is Equinix's second location in Germany to offer AWS Direct Connect. The company announced availability in Frankfurt in 2014. Munich brings the total number of Equinix metros offering the Direct Connect service to 14, globally.
Cloud computing continues to grow at a steady pace across Europe. In fact, IDC predicts that the EMEA public cloud market will expand 26 percent over the next four years. Germany remains the second-largest cloud-consuming territory, and it has the highest growth rate (23.8% CAGR) among the major territories. According to IDC, basing on current trends, Germany could be the largest buyer of public cloud services by 2026*. Yet, one of the top CIO concerns in moving to the cloud continues to be compliance with German and European data protection laws. By expanding AWS Direct Connect within Germany, Equinix and Amazon are enabling enterprise CIOs to advance their hybrid cloud strategies by seamlessly and safely incorporating public cloud services into their existing architectures.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix's Munich campus consists of two data centers comprised of 6,500 square meters (70,000 square feet) of colocation space. Together, the Munich data centers are business hubs for more than 70 companies. Equinix Munich customers can choose from a broad range of network services from more than 30 network providers. They can also interconnect to customers and partners in their digital supply chain. By adding AWS Direct Connect to these facilities, Equinix is providing customers with an ideal location for them to host cloud services and help address any data privacy or data sovereignty issues.
- Equinix Munich data centers have prime locations in one of Germany's most important banking and insurance industry hubs. The region is also home to thriving automotive, Internet, digital media and electronics industries. Companies in these sectors rely on Equinix's Munich colocation facilities and interconnection services to make highly reliable, low-latency connections with business partners and customers locally, nationally and internationally.
- With the addition of Munich, Equinix now offers the AWS Direct Connect service in Amsterdam, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Los Angeles, London, Munich, Osaka, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia. Equinix customers in these metros will be able to lower network costs into and out of AWS and take advantage of reduced AWS Direct Connect data transfer rates.
- Eric Schwartz, president, EMEA, Equinix:
"We are thrilled to be adding another AWS Direct Connect site in our European footprint of data centers. It has always been our goal to help enterprises realize the full benefits of the cloud, while alleviating concerns of application latency or data privacy. By providing access to AWS via the Direct Connect service, we are empowering our customers to achieve improved performance of cloud-based applications."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 41 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. http://www.equinix.com/.
* Source: IDC, "Western Europe Public Cloud Services Forecast, 2016–2020" (Doc #EMEA41308316 / Jun 7, 2016)
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/aws-direct-connect-service-now-available-at-equinix-in-munich-300432553.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Released March 31, 2017