Equinix Joins the Industrial Internet Consortium
Providing interconnection and data positioning expertise to enable industrial internet deployments
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Dec. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has joined the Industrial Internet Consortium® (IIC), the global, member-supported organization that promotes the accelerated growth of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Membership provides Equinix opportunities to engage and contribute to innovation, best practices and evolution initiatives the industrial internet is achieving.
Interconnection is paramount for the success, growth and security of the Internet of Things. The industrial internet, in particular, has unique and well-defined sets of technical and business requirements for data collection, data retention, analytics and hybrid compute which are ideally suited for an Interconnection Oriented Architecture (IOA™), like those deployed inside Equinix data centers. Additionally, proximity between people, information systems, data and analytics systems that require analytical and machine-learned information in real time is essential for an agile IoT architecture. With 145+ data centers in 40 markets worldwide, Equinix provides pivotal interconnection solution enablement for enterprise organizations to execute the full potential of the Internet of Things.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Industrial Internet Consortium is a global, member-supported, organization that promotes the accelerated growth of the Industrial Internet of Things by coordinating ecosystem initiatives to securely connect, control and integrate assets and systems of assets with people, processes and data using common architectures, interoperability and open standards to deliver transformational business and societal outcomes across industries and public infrastructure.
- With more than 145 data centers across 40 markets around the world, Equinix provides critical key participants of IoT ecosystems with an ideal platform to scale their offerings around the world enabling and supporting an accelerating customer demand. The Equinix Cloud Exchange – with direct private and secure connections to all leading cloud providers through multiple geo diverse ports – is available now in 21 markets globally including – Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York, Osaka, Paris, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Washington, D.C., and Zurich.
Ryan Mallory, global vice president, solution enablement, at Equinix:
"Interconnection acts as a central nervous system for the Internet of Things, enabling all vital functions for achieving efficiency and agility. Equinix, with the IIC, will help make this happen. We are excited to partner with the high-caliber companies of the IIC and enable enterprises to capitalize on their data and make the Internet of Things a thriving and trusted reality."
Dr. Richard Soley, executive director, Industrial Internet Consortium
"In the emerging and complex Internet of Things arena, enterprises want their data, applications, devices and cloud services to interconnect and operate securely. We look forward to the interconnection expertise that Equinix brings with respect to system integration and security for the connected ecosystem and to the contributions they will make in helping to accelerate the adoption of the Industrial Internet."
- Powering the Industrial Internet Side of the Internet of Things [blog post]
- How to Build Up Your IoT Security, Confidence and Trust [blog post]
- Emerging IOT Ecosystems: Matches Made in the Cloud [blog post]
- More about IIC
Equinix, Inc. connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-joins-the-industrial-internet-consortium-300376388.html
Released December 12, 2016