Equinix to Offer Access to VMware vCloud Air Service on Platform Equinix in Europe
Secure, high-performance connectivity to leading hybrid cloud services available in the UK and Germany
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that VMware® vCloud Air™ is available on Platform Equinix™ in Europe. The service is available via direct connect within Equinix's London and Frankfurt metros, and remotely across Europe via carriers. These dedicated, private connections reduce network costs and provide higher, more consistent network performance than Internet-based connections for enterprise customers looking to build VMware-based hybrid clouds, alongside other cloud services including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure.
VMware vCloud Air allows customers to extend their existing on-premises IT infrastructure seamlessly into vSphere-hosted private cloud and public clouds. Customers have the ability to build the network/architecture spanning all three environments, giving them full control to meet their data security and sovereignty requirements. The solution is now available via direct connect inside Equinix's LD5 International Business Exchange™ (IBX) data center in London and FR2 data center in Frankfurt, with the potential to scale across Equinix's global data center footprint.
Highlights / Key Facts
- VMware vCloud Air integrates seamlessly with a company's current IT infrastructure (whether on-premises or hosted in an Equinix IBX), delivering the ease and flexibility to extend applications into the cloud as additional capacity is needed. It is compatible with existing enterprise applications, making it straightforward to build new, cloud-native applications and achieve business agility and efficiency in a more secure, reliable and compliant manner.
- The availability of the vCloud Air service enables customers to address European Union compliance and data protection regulation as locally hosted data is inherent in the service, alongside the global reach offered through Equinix.
- Equinix offers the industry's broadest choice in cloud service providers, such as VMware vCloud Air, AWS, Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure, offering direct connections to these cloud services via Equinix Cloud Exchange™, cross connects or Ethernet services.
- Equinix is home to a mature and dynamic ecosystem of partners and customers, hosting over 1,250 cloud and IT services companies globally, with 450 of those residing in IBXs across Europe. According to a recent Cloud Adoption Survey commissioned by Equinix 91 percent of UK and 88 percent of German respondents are planning the deployment of new cloud-based offerings this year.
Mark Adams, chief development officer, Equinix:
"We are delighted to be working with VMware to facilitate adoption of vCloud Air, over both the Internet and via direct connect for hybrid- and multi-cloud architectures. Today there is strong demand for high performance enterprise-grade cloud services, and VMware is a welcome addition to our growing ecosystem of best-in-class cloud service providers."
Gavin Jackson, vice president and general manager, vCloud business unit, VMware:
"Working with Equinix accelerates our access to customers and our customers' access to cloud applications that can run seamlessly both on- and off-premises. Customers gain new data center locations for VMware vCloud Air and complementary connection, network, colocation, hosting and managed services to facilitate their hybrid cloud build-out."
- Cloud Reflections – Looking Back Over Last Year's Cloud Expansion [blog]
- Gartner ITXpo 2014 in Europe Confirms Data Center Decision-Making is High on the CIO Agenda [blog]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. http://www.equinix.com/.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
VMware and vCloud Air are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
Logo - https://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140102/MM39832LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-to-offer-access-to-vmware-vcloud-air-service-on-platform-equinix-in-europe-300071384.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Released April 23, 2015