Equinix Opens New Data Center in Switzerland
Fifth Zürich data center now available to meet strong demand from network, cloud, content, enterprise and financial services firms
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. & ZÜRICH--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that the first phase of its fifth data center in Zürich – the ZH5 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) – is open for business. Equinix provides more data center space than any other provider in Switzerland with leading levels of network density, mature ecosystems and 100 percent green power in all facilities. The ZH5 data center will meet strong demand in the region from network, cloud, content, enterprise and financial services firms.
Highlights / Key Facts
- ZH5 is connected to the rest of the Equinix Zürich data center campus, which includes ZH1, ZH2 and ZH4, with a dark fiber ring under 10km long. The new data center provides customers with immediate connectivity to 90 network service providers, plus SIX Swiss Exchange, the Swiss stock exchange, and Switzerland’s two largest internet exchanges — Equinix Internet Exchange and Swiss IX. Customers can directly connect to other businesses within ZH5 or between data centers on the same campus.
- Phase 1 of ZH5 consists of 1,060 m2 (11,200 square feet) of high-density-power customer space or 420 cabinet equivalents. When the entire facility is completely built out, the data center is expected to provide approximately 6,670 square meters (71,800 square feet), or more than 2600 cabinets of high-density power customer space.
- ZH5 is ideal for cloud, enterprise, content and financial services businesses, to which diverse connectivity and physical and data security are vital for guaranteed performance levels.
- The data center has been built with sustainability in mind and to Gold LEED certification standards, with 100 percent green power as certified by Swiss energy provider EWZ. ZH5 has been awarded world-class security standards ISO9001.
- The real fiber distance of the data center from Zurich city center is less than 10km per leg putting it within close proximity to Zurich airport, Switzerland’s main transatlantic hub, for convenient access.
- ZH5 customers will also have access to the Equinix Marketplace to identify potential customers and partners from among more than 4,000 ecosystem participants offering a range of services inside Equinix data centers.
Dottarelli, managing director, Equinix Switzerland:
“This expansion in Switzerland underlines Equinix’s leadership in the market and our continued commitment to provide state-of-the art IBX data centers in strategic geographic locations to help our customers grow. With two of the largest internet exchanges in Switzerland at their disposal, customers will have immediate access to leading levels of network density and ecosystems, which will enable them to reduce costs, benefit from enhanced performance and add value to their business.”
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts:
Melissa Neumann, +1 650-598-6098
GolinHarris for Equinix
Liam Rose, +1 415-318-4380
Equinix Media Contact (Europe/U.K.)
Pari Faramarzi, +44 (0)20 8846 0710
Source: Equinix, Inc.
Released June 5, 2013