Digitally Mature Businesses Expanding Digital Infrastructure 4x Faster Than Pre-Pandemic Levels
Experience the interactive Multichannel News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8674653-equinix-study-shows-businesses-expanding-digital-infrastructure-four-times-faster/
This accelerated pace of digital transformation is predicted to continue to fuel the rapid growth in interconnection bandwidth. According to the GXI Vol. 5, overall interconnection bandwidth, the measure of private connectivity for the transfer of data between organizations, is forecast to reach 21,485+ terabits per second (Tbps), or 85 zettabytes, per year by 2024, representing a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 44%. This growth is aligned with the increasing demand for the digital infrastructure needed to bring more businesses online, facilitate electronic integration with partners and supply chains, and reach more people in distributed hybrid work environments.
Additional Insights From GXI Vol. 5
- Close to 30% of enterprise infrastructure deployed in carrier-neutral facilities has moved to the edge, in proximity to points of data consumption. Service Providers are also expanding at the edge, growing their edge infrastructure 2x faster than their core infrastructure, enabling them to support increasing demand from enterprises.
- Digital leaders are interconnecting with 10 times as many partners, enabling them to ride the wave of digital transformation and enjoy best-of-breed services from a vast pool of Service Providers and partners. The trend has been tracked across 12 industries and three regions for traditional companies, born in the cloud, Service Providers and even hyperscale providers.
- Among industries, the Financial Services sector is expected to deploy more than 50% of Enterprise interconnection bandwidth, with Manufacturing as the second-largest industry.
- The Public Sector, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Industrial Services and Transportation industries are expected to experience the fastest digital infrastructure growth, which is forecast to drive a 48% or more CAGR in interconnection bandwidth from 2020 to 2024 globally. These industries that were previously lagging in interconnection adoption are now leading in interconnection growth rate as a result of the pandemic.
"While COVID has forced businesses to innovate in many ways, by both expanding existing and introducing new digital services, the infrastructure underpinning these services must keep pace," said
Industry Perspective on the Global Interconnection Index
Courtney Munroe, Research Vice President, Worldwide Telecommunications Research, IDC
"Companies that have adopted a comprehensive digital strategy as a core business pillar—connecting with and leveraging digital platforms with partners, ecosystems, and customers, consistently emerge as disruptive market leaders. Adopting digital platforms and services is essential to achieve the level of agility and resiliency that is required to outpace and out-innovate the competition."
- Global Interconnection Index Volume 5 [report]
- GXI Vol. 5 Blog [blog]
- IDC - A Blueprint for DX Success—Start with Hybrid Infrastructure and Connected Ecosystems [report]
- The Future of Digital Leadership [report]
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including statements about the speed of digital infrastructure expansion and the growth rate of interconnection bandwidth. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements and the predictions made in the Global Interconnection Index. Factors that might cause such differences include risks described from time to time in
Equinix Media Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations: email@example.com