The expansion of the Equinix Ashburn Campus also includes a Co-Innovation Facility (CIF) where leading technology vendors in the digital infrastructure space can test, demonstrate and evolve their products in collaboration with
Highlights / Key Facts
- DC21 is a two-story, state-of-the-art data center designed to deliver both small- and large-capacity deployments. The innovative, modular construction incorporates
Equinix's Flexible Data Center(FDC) principles, which leverage common design elements for space, power and cooling to reduce capital costs while ensuring long-term maintenance predictability. The $95 millionfirst phase of DC21 will provide more than 41,000 square feet of colocation space, offering an initial capacity of 925 cabinets. Upon completion of the planned future phases, DC21 is expected to provide total capacity of 3,100 cabinet equivalents and colocation space of more than 124,000 square feet.
$111million first phase of DC15 opened in Q2 2020 with an initial capacity of 1,600 cabinet equivalents and colocation space of approximately 23,000 square feet.
- The Washington, D.C. metro represents the largest colocation market in the
U.S.and, with the opening of DC21, includes 16 Equinix IBX data centers that house more than 200 network service providers—more than any other data center provider in the Washington D.C. metro area. The Equinix Ashburn campus is the single most-dense interconnection hub in the U.S., providing proximity to financial enterprises, content and digital media services, global networks and cloud service provider.
- The Equinix Ashburn Campus provides a wide range of interconnection solutions, including Equinix FabricTM — formerly Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric. Equinix Fabric is an on-demand, SDN-enabled interconnection service that allows any business to connect between its own distributed infrastructure and any other company's distributed infrastructure, including the world's largest network service and cloud providers on Platform Equinix®. Through Equinix Fabric, customers in
Ashburncan set up direct connectivity with international and local cloud service providers across the U.S., including Alibaba, AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud, SAP Cloud and SoftLayer, as well as major network service providers. Equinix'slong-term goal of using 100% clean and renewable energy for its global platform has resulted in significant increases in renewable energy coverage globally, including 100% renewable throughout the U.S. Equinixcontinues to make advancements in the way it designs, builds and operates its global platform, with high energy efficiency standards. DC21 and other Equinix Ashburn campus customers canl benefit from reductions of their CO2 footprint through Equinix'srenewable energy procurement strategy and the use of energy-efficient systems throughout these facilities.
- Currently, the global footprint of Platform Equinix spans more than 225 IBX data centers across 63 markets and 26 countries, providing digital infrastructure and services for more than 9,500 of the world's leading businesses. In the
U.S, Equinixhas more than 80 IBX data centers across key metros, including Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, New York, Miamiand Washington, D.C.
Kelly Morgan, Research Director at 451 Research, part of S&P Global Market Intelligence
Ashburn, in Loudon County just outside of Washington, D.C., is a central connectivity hub and critically important to the U.S.cloud and infrastructure story. Enterprises that previously did not see a need to improve networks may now, as a result of the pandemic, be open to new approaches and ready to try network hubs. This is placing an increased focus on data centers that can offer direct connections to the cloud with private on-ramps." Jon Lin, President, Americas, Equinix:
"D.C. continues to prosper as a key digital hub for businesses around the world despite the challenges faced with the COVID-19 pandemic. Our continued expansion in this important metro creates more opportunities for businesses to leverage Platform Equinix as the central component to their digital foundation while enabling them to grow and scale at software speed."
- Strengthening the Heart of Digital Infrastructure [blog]
- Creating the
Digital Infrastructure Capitalof the World [blog]
- Equinix Washington DC Data Centers [website]
- Equinix Washington D.C. Metro [data sheet]
- Equinix Sustainability Report [website]
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX® data centers and developing, deploying and delivering
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-invests-200-million-in-washington-dc-area-data-center-expansions-301174519.html
Michelle Lindeman (Americas), +1 (650) 598-6361, email@example.com; Annie Ho, (Asia-Pacific), +852 2970-7761, firstname.lastname@example.org; Jess Sullivan (EMEA), +44 7876 712861, Jess.Sullivan@eu.equinix.com; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583. email@example.com; Chip Newcom, +1 (650) 598-6262, firstname.lastname@example.org